Skip to main content

TIPS- BEGINNERS GUIDE TO NATURAL HAIR / TRANSITIONING

Hi people! I decided to take my hair game serious a year ago, so as to help me minimise breakage and retain length.Ever since then, I have had lots of questions and comments on how I started out with my Natural hair, truth is that My Natural hair amazes even me and people who use to know what my relaxed hair looked like before I started with the #TeamNaturalHair journey. I love the texture of my now natural hair, the different things I can do with my hair and how healthy my hair is now.
I am not a natural hair blogger, but I like to share useful tips, so here is how I got Started:
HOW I GOT STARTED:

  • I trimmed out the relaxed part of my hair. Funny enough, before I started out natural, I relax my hair just once a month because my hair is extremely soft, like I didn't out grow my baby hair. Some like to take the bold step by going for the big chop, some just transition by allowing the fierce battle between the relaxed and natural hair till the relaxed hair finally goes off (this battle is real, it takes patience and understanding). 
ESSENTIAL ITEMS / PRODUCTS:
  • Spray water bottle: Water is a free gift of nature to mankind, it is very essential for any Naturalista and everyone in general, it keeps the hair soft, it gives the hair the right moisture, it enhances hair growth, it prevents hair breakage, it helps to detangle hair and lots more.
  • Shea butter: Shea butter is a rich source of Vitamins and fats that is very good for the hair.
  • Leave in conditioner: Leave in conditioner helps to sustain hair till the next wash day, it helps to detangle hair, it helps to replenish dry hair, it tames frizz and prevent split ends.
  • Coconut oil: Coconut oil or any Essential oil which helps to prevent hair loss, hair damage, it helps in easy hair styling and provides natural vitamins for the hair. I just add few drops of the oil into the water in my spray water bottle, then spray on my hair, i also apply generously on my hair .
  • Bobby pins: Very essential in styling and packing the natural hair as desired.
  • Thread: Threading my hair helps me stretch my natural hair without combing it, because excessive combing leads to breakage.
  • Satin scarf: Silk scarf helps to protect hair style, helps to retain moisture because cotton pillow case drains moisture,prevent breakage and protects the edges.
These are some of the products I started out with, but as time went by, I started understanding my hair, and inculcating some other products and Regime for my hair, I will share that with you in another post.

DO'S
  • Have a hair wash regimen / routine
  • Practice protective Styling such as braids, bantu knots, fixing extensions with closures e.t.c
  • LOC, seal and provide hair with moisture
  • Find out what works for you and practice it.
  • Find Out the content of your hair care product
DONT'S
  • Don't use rubber band on your hair, it causes breakage.
  • Avoid excessive combing, it causes breakage.
  • Avoid harmful / too much chemicals.
  • Do not follow or practice everything on all the natural hair blogs, find the ones you can relate with. Note that Natural hair comes in different types like the type 2, 3, 4 and in C's . Am yet to find out mine *covers face*
Viola! You are good to go! do note that in all, moisture is very important for your natural hair.I get tips on www.naijagirlnextdoor.blogspot.com and there is a great trichologist on www.africanaturalistas.com try out these blogs, they are Nigerian and you can relate.
  

Comments

  1. Still trying to wrap my head around the idea of going natural.
    I will love to. I'm just sceptical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natural is safe and healthy. The idea is for us African women to see our hair as beautiful and embrace the versatility in our existence. Nana dear you will love it

      Delete

Post a Comment

THANK YOU FOR READING, DONT FORGET TO DROP YOUR COMMENTS.

Popular posts from this blog

STYLE - WHO ROCKED IT WELL?

Good day beautiful people, due to popular demand *winks* am doing this post, my last post about the yellow mustard had most of  my readers trying out the mustard colour and sending them to me. Of all the entries I have received, I chose three and decided my readers should vote who rocked it well. My apologies to you, if you sent a picture and I didn't post it. Here are the pictures of the three ladies you would be voting for: Ada Linda Uche Did I forget to mention that the person with the highest vote would receive an ETHNIQUE accessory hand crafted by me, yes me. Don forget, voting ends on Friday the 23rd of August 2013. Now let the voting start, throw in you comments and votes.

POST EVENT RELEASE - LADIES AT HANG OUT WITH TEE4

It’s been a month since Hangoutwithtee hosted its 4 th edition of the Hangoutwithtee ladies event and the feedback has been incredibly positive and the overall event was received as “inspirational”! The ladies gathered Sunday afternoon, March 18 th , 2018 at Firewood, Sabo Yaba for an afternoon of fun with 150+ women in attendance.   Tomi Odunsi at the 4th Edition of Hangout With Tee

FEATURED - HANDMAID IN AFRICA:ANKARA CRAFT

I like to celebrate people who inspire others; I like to celebrate Africa, I like to celebrate young entrepreneurs like myself. The last time I was at the 2013 July edition of the LPM, I met an interesting young woman who fascinated me with her works by breaking away from the norm and doing something different. It’s the CEO Hand Maid in Africa, let’s meet her. Nene Aderohunmu is a young woman who is into stationeries such as pencil cups, books, sticky pads, diary, and household decorative like wall frames, picture frames, and jewelry box all made with Ankara and hand crafted by her. ETHNIQUE:  How and when did you start?